Tips for the Uneducated Writer

"If those bad words come, I let them come in one ear and go out the other. I never let them come out of my mouth. If a bad word comes in your ear and then comes out of your mouth, it will go someplace and hurt somebody. If I did that, that hurt would come back twice as hard on me." ~Wallace Black Elk, Lakota~

I write this this morning under the guise of an author, but I am really hurting as a human being today. As a person with real feelings and emotions, it hurts me deeply to know that people can be so cruel with their words.

I used to be the type of person that, when verbally attacked, I would attack back. After all, my gift with words is a gift that I can use anyway I want to, but then I would be abusing that gift, wouldn't I?

Walking the narrow path of this Red Road I am on, I have learned that integrity is more important than sparring with others, but especially with someone who doesn't even know me personally. I have come to learn that the old saying "like water off a ducks back" is really a literal cleansing in disguise and I practice that on a daily basis. Besides that, I would never abuse the gift given to me (the gift of writing) to hurt another human being. I stand in my truth and that's all that I do. When it all falls down around the rest, I will still be standing tall.

An uneducated writer, to me, is someone new to the business and is learning the hard way. That's me. These lessons I am being taught are needed, I know, but the hurt I feel this beautiful morning goes deep into my soul. I will, however, persevere and stand strong and walk with my head held high; things my mother taught me to do, for with integrity, I will rise above with a smile on my face and the knowledge that I have done my best; with fortitude I will conquer all that is put in my path, and with courage I will carry this story to who can nurture it and give it the proper respect.

My ancestors guide me, and for this I am truly grateful for without them, there would be no stories. As I have said before in this blog, people who view me as "just another white person" are looking at me through a closed mind. All they see is a white person who is trying to ride on the coat tails of a full blood. I don't find validity of who I am through my husband, I find it through my own people, my own DNA. I walk the way of my people, who have always had dignity and respect for others and I relish the fact that I have my mother's genes; the same genes that reflect the virtues bestowed upon me by her, which include a kind and forgiving heart. I don't need anything else.

Hollywood is but one place on a map, filled with people who want something for nothing, but that's not me. Never has been, never will be. I am thankful for all that I have and all that I will have. The spirits know my sacrifices and are taking care of me and my family and will continue to do so, of this I have no doubt.


So I close this blog today with a few reminders to other uneducated writer's out there:

*Do your homework.

*Create a solid platform

*Write a great bio.

*Write a great query letter. 

*Get an attorney. (Beg, borrow or pawn to do so.)

Research these things until you feel you have done the absolute best you can do, AND THEN FLY!

But above all else, stay true to yourself ...those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

All my best,
Lynny Prince 

Comments

Popular Posts