Review of Under a Prairie Moon- a novel by Madeline Baker

"Under a Prairie Moon," was one of the first romance novels I ever read, and one that impacted me as a writer so much, I plan to adapt it to film in the future. It is such a fast, easy read, and keeps you turning the pages to see what will happen next. I just love this book, and though I'm not a romance writer, Madeline inspired me in my early writing and gave me the courage to go for it!
Madeline also writes vamp romances under the name Amanda Ashley. Grab every opportunity to read her books, because you won't be disappointed!

I tried to keep spoilers at a minimum, but there are a few here. Read at your own risk! Enjoy!

Under a Prairie Moon
This is a wonderful story of romance and the paranormal, and is the book that made me a huge fan of Madeline Baker.

In this story, widow Kathy Conley inherits her husbands family farm after his death. No one has lived in the house for quite some time, and when they do move in, no one stays. Turns out, the place is haunted by the ghost of a man who was wrongly accused of trying to rape the wife of the original owner.

Dalton Crowkiller, tough, good looking, half-breed Native American, was lusted after by the farmer's wife, Lydia Conley, who threw herself at him every chance she got back in 1873. One night in the barn, Lydia attempts to seduce Dalton and when he won't reciprocate, she screams rape, quickly prompting his hanging.

Fast forward to present day, Kathy, who is overcome with grief over the loss of her husband, busies herself fixing up the old farm house. One day, she finds a diary jammed in an old dresser drawer and here she reads the story of how Lydia lusted after Dalton, the ranch hand. As time passes, Kathy hears and sees things that she can't explain and eventually discovers that the ghost she is seeing is that of Dalton. A relationship develops, which she explains away as her being a grieving, lonely widow. One day, Dalton talks her into buying a horse, and while riding together, they pass under the hanging tree on the property and are propelled into the past.

Given the chance to clear his name by changing the past, Dalton and Kathy express their love for one another in the past, but will they lose each other in the future?

I won't give anymore away, but I can tell you that this is one of the books that inspired me to write paranormal thrillers. Madeline Baker has a way of drawing you in, and keeping you there. I could not put this book down and have read it at least 20 times! If you love romance, time travel and good looking Native American men, this book is for you! Excellent read!

View all my Goodreads reviews.

Comments

Popular Posts