A Few Writing Guidelines


I am way behind on the books I should have already completed, but this past year has been a whirlwind that did not leave much time to write. I am home now, and have been for weeks, but still the words do not come.


While going through my Kindle and all the ebooks I have downloaded, I am revisiting a few that I hope will help me with my writing.

I have collected a good amount of writing books, and one in particular seems to have a good handle on the process of novel writing.

I was thrilled to read the following entries from the book "The 90 day Novel" by Alan Watt. Hope it helps you, too. 

  •  There are no rules. 
  • We cannot make a mistake. 
  • The story lives fully and completely within us.  
  • We are uniquely qualified to tell our story. 
  • This is a process of learning to trust our inner voice. It's not about being a good student. 
  • Our idea of the story is not the whole story. It's not that our ideas are wrong, but rather that through inquiry, a more fully realized story emerges. 
  • The desire to write is connected to the desire to evolve. Our fears are a way into our story.
  •  What our hero wants is connected to an idea of what it will give him. Example: "When I win the marathon I will gain respect." 
  • Story is about transformation. 
  • As writers, our job is to track the beats in a compelling and believable way that leads to a transformation. 
  • There is a dilemma for our hero at the heart of our story. This is where the tension lies. 
  • Character suggests plot. 
  • The thrill of creation must be its own reward. 
  • This process is like a developing Polaroid photo. Over time, through inquiry, our story comes into focus.

    Watt, Alan (2010-10-07). The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within (p. 28). The 90-Day Novel Press. Kindle Edition.


Check out his ebook and let me know how your writing is progressing, or techniques you use when you write!

Til next time,

LP


Popular Posts