Calling Jerry Bruckheimer!!

Anyone who knows anything about TV or movies knows that Jerry Bruckheimer is the guru of those mediums. Gore Verbinski is also up there in the stratosphere of amazing directors. As many of you know, I had a friend who worked on the set of the Lone Ranger as Johnny Depp's stand in. My friend was responsible for getting Johnny a copy of my book, "Scattered Leaves: The Legend of Ghostkiller" for his 49th birthday and then this year, a Ghostkiller t-shirt for his 50th! How lucky am I to have friends like this?

So when I had a chance to go to a sneak peek of The Lone Ranger a week before it premiered worldwide, you bet your black-bird I took it. The film didn't disappoint, either.

I was blessed to have received an invitation to go to a sneak peek showing of The Lone Ranger by a trusted friend who had tickets, and I must say, the movie far exceeded my expectations. Johnny Depp out did himself in the role of Tonto, and I dare say it is his best work to date.

The Lone Ranger is an action-packed thrill ride, complete with crashing trains, evil bandits, lots of shoot-'em-up scenes, and corporate corruption, all tied up in a tightly woven package. But that is not why I loved it. I loved it for the truth it contains. Let me explain:

Amid all the controversy over Johnny and the bird he wears on his head, I submit the evidence un-earthered by Indian Country Today; Yes, Indians did wear birds on their heads. And for someone who knew so little about Natives, Johnny certainly brought the message from the Native masses to the big screen, and in a way only Johnny Depp could have done it: Native Americans were victims of genocide, all for the love of money, from day one.

 This film will open everyone's eyes to just one example of historical wrongs committed against Natives; how greed helped shape one Nation, while systematically wiping out another. The costume was a bit over the top, but the message in the story was so profound, I didn't pay much attention to what he wore. Throughout the film, Tonto feeds the bird on his head, thus feeding his spirit, which I thought was an amazing touch.

The Lone Ranger takes a terrible time in history and puts it in a nice little entertainment pill, easily swallowed by the masses, and in this way, many will be educated. I applaud all involved. I laughed and I cried and was thoroughly entertained. Everyone needs to see this film, but especially every American Indian needs to see it. Bringing to the forefront atrocities committed against American Indians is something never before done in any Hollywood film I've ever seen. It will get butts in the seats and then educate those butts, en masse, about a dark time in history never told in this way, let alone with this much press. Bravo! Two thumbs up!

 I want to hire the entire Lone Ranger team for the film "Ghostkiller." Jerry, Gore and Johnny, if you're reading this, lets make a film! HA! In all seriousness, this is the dream team, no doubt about it. Get out and go see this film! You'll be glad you did!

Til next time,
~LP

Comments

Popular Posts